Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Personal Works

I herby dedicate this post as a PLACE FOR ARTISTIC EXPLORATION!!!!! Or, in a least formal sense, I will post all of my extras that I feel are portfolio worthy outside of my thesis. I always find that, when in art school, it is good for a student to always branch away from your classwork, homework, and just your overall need to be constantly sketching/attending workshops, to do a little something more to bring it all together. I tend to find these pieces ten to take a long time, seeing how I would be working on them without a need for a deadline alongside assignments that do have deadlines. but, nonetheless, they help me stay sane.

August 26, 2015:

Little One, pen and watercolor, 4x6"

A Visitor in Momma's Woods, watercolor, colored pencil, 11x14"

This one, I will add, is one I am not fully proud of. I am proud that I was able to challenge myself, head-on, to tackle one of my problems when I develop narrative: Pushing things back/creating depth through perspective, and I am proud of, well, my face! I feel that the rest is somewhat under-developed because they were becoming 'over-developed.' This, I feel, is the first piece where I am now bringing in all my interests, skills, and knowledge into one solid piece. But because this was taking me so long, and my watercolor skills are still not where I want to be, I began to work it too much, making some aspects too overworked. So I stopped.
Yes, it is a piece I am proud of very much, yes it is a piece that I see a lot of improvement in myself with, but it is not my best all around. It all dwindles down to the fact that I don't completely understand watercolors fully yet. I am a layer-er. I layer too much because I cannot see/understand how I want my values to look in terms of my colors. I understand what I want to accomplish via value pattern, but my values in terms of color is still weak, which then makes me overwork areas. I am hoping to attack this weakness in one of my classes that I am taking this upcoming fall. We will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment