Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Directed Study: Color Theory


Module 13:

We started our Mandala designs today. I am happy to know that we have class time to do this! I really want to do a good job of this. Create a clean presentation, as I have issues with my craftsmanship when it comes to edge control. The last assignment I feel was a failure. My classmates and professor really liked it. But, the colors, to me are still too saturated. I took this class to understand how much more you can do without being so saturated everywhere. Yet, I was very overworked and tired this week, so my mind was not in the best state of concentration for this piece.

Module 12:

This next one is going to be fun. I can't wait to just jump right into the final. But I look at my studies and they are very separate. I still have trouble when understanding color as value and value as color. They are still very separate beings to me. Looking at both of these I can see the idea and direction I will go in, but I just don't like how separate they are. I really need to practice my understanding of the two concepts and how they work together.









Module 11:

Happy to say that I loved this assignment. Finally I was able to use gouache and actually paint, not make swatches. I love my pattern. I want it as a wall paper. Nothing much to say otherwise BUT I am finding I am more accurate when it comes to understanding how much of a different small or large amounts of paint change the color. I am becoming more aware of that, and I am seeing it in my other painting outside of this class.


Module 10:

We presented our pattern ideas today and was able to work on them during class. I will say I am glad to finally work on something not so swatch-y and more painting based. Gouache is a weird medium for me and I learn better when I apply new things to serious pieces (not so much practicing loosely). It was a nice change and it is coming out really well. I enjoy my feather pattern. Feathers always make me happy and always seem to calm me down when I draw them. My colors really make me happy too. I love the warms as they remind me of a long golden field of grass. Wish I can be there right now riding a horse!




Module 9:

This was a really great class. We are going into pattern and the idea of harmonizing color in terms of group relationships. What I mean is tertiary split compliments! I have always known about theses but never really focused on the concept. I am finding that I am more aware of color relationships and color influences on surfaces, objects and the like.

Anyways, I created a pattern that involves simple motifs of feathers with some circles. I'm pretty happy with it and I'm sure the final portion of it will come out great. But that's not due yet. Future deadlines!

Module 7 and 8:

These past two classes have been about understanding toning and how light affects surfaces. As basic as they were, I needed to really re-visit those ideas. I am finding more and more that I am still trying to understand how colored surfaces are affected by light. For example, a cool rock surface that can be mainly blue-ish in local color is warmer in a sunlight and cooler in the low light. My problem is how much warmer or cooler does an objects surface becomes, and still have it's local color be shown?

Though I am not painting an actual piece for this class, I am in another, and i am finding that I am trying to understand this idea intensely. I still feel that I am pretty saturated (at least the beauty of watercolor lets you layer over that to dull things down if you need to), but I still like it. I need to find that good balance between both color and muted/toned/tinted color when influenced by it's surroundings.

 

Module 6:

I will say, no real big progress. We revisited the portraits, but nothing more than that. I am sure I will be more attuned to color eventually. I just feel that, with everything else, I have been a bit over-worked. This class will show for that lack of time and energy, but what can you do. Thesis comes first, then fantasy art class for extra portfolio work.

Module 5:

So, another day, another color! I won't post much here as I wasn't able to finish what I had to do for the homework assignment. It is not like me to not be able to finish an assignment, but seeing how this class is a foundations re-practice for me, I rather dedicate more time to that which is important (thesis, portfolio, promotional material etc). I have a lot on my plate right now. Trying my best!

Module 4:

Color and value are super tough! I am trying my hardest to work with the numerous swatches I have already made, but it really is difficult if your swatches are just off in comparison to your 9 value scale. I don't have tim to make more, so I am working with what I made. Also, this is my weakness, color as value. When I was doing it, I was making the connection between the two, but still, it isn't easy.

Module 3:

Color wheel time! I am so happy to have had time in our class to do the homework for the week. What a huge help to have that time! I was able to do all my swatches, over 100 or so, during class. All I need to do is decide my color accurately and put them together in a color wheel.

I am happy to start jumping into color. Value yes, is important, but color and value work together, and my understanding of color in relationship to their value is fuzzy. So excited to begin color!



Module 2:

Can I say how much I hate abstract art? I mean I don't hate it. Others how can do it and can do it well, that is great. I do not have the mind or patience for it. This week's assignment gave me mini anger burst and frustrations. My heart even went crazy. I was really not having it. Nothing was working and I just winged it. Sorry to say, but with everything else on my plate, it is hard to dedicate time to something you want to burn and throw out the window. I finished it, because that is what students should do no matter what, but it is not good and not clean.

AS a color Theory class, I know everything should be executed cleanly and professionally, but I have just about had it with this one. I am here to make swatches and color wheels, but so much finished artwork. Nothing against the assignment, just not my thing. Felt too foundations like, and I am SO done with that!


Module 1:

Let swatch hell begin! First class we started with a simple gray scale. A 9 step gray scale out of about 40 swatches painted. I will say super informative. I am hoping this class will really help me understand the power of color. I have always felt that I do paint more on the saturated side, not that I feel it is a problem, but I can vary my intensity. And that starts with understand intensity of color. I have never took a formal color class before, so I am very excited to dig deep in the tubes!

Also, using gouache for the first time will be good. I have been told gouache is a really good medium to work with. I have a set of acrylica gouache that I have been wanting to use, but never had to chance to play with them yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment